Do you desire to build a successful career as a web developer? In this article; i will share virtually everything you need to know if you want to start a successful career developing website and web applications.
Web developers is one of the most important ways by which you can become a boss of your own if you do not want to get into paid employment as a web developer. It is therefore important that you know all it takes to become a successful one if that is the path you want to take.
In this quick guide, you will learn the following:
- Who is a web developer?
- Core skills you need to become a web developer
- Step by step guide to building a great career as a web developer
Now, Let’s get started
Who is a Web Developer?
The HTTP is used for communications between client and server. We use a web content management system to develop and maintain web applications.
Classifications of Web Developers
There are two major classifications of a web developer which are; a Front-end web developer or a Back- end web developer.
What does a Front End Web Developer Do?
A Front-end web developer focuses on the front-end web development which can be seen by the users. They are usually the ones who are more closer to the users as they will need to think in the way of their users so they can be able to construct the necessary element for interaction.
What Does a Back End Web Developer Do?
A Back-end Developer focuses on the server side and work on that part of the website where the users might not see with their eyes. This part is usually called the server side and they refer back-end developer guys as the one who work in the dark to save the light.
How A Typical Web Development Team Work
Furthermore; the other back-end developer might focus on the interaction between server-side frameworks, the web server and a database system depending on the size of the organization. The front end developers might work with a content creator or copywriter, web designer, web producer, software architect and others who will be responsible for tasks like web design and project management.
Skills Needed To Become and Build a Successful Career as a Web Developer
Many colleges and trade schools offer these courses for people to learn more about web development and other aspects of it.
However; Anyone who desires to be called a web developer needs to understand some major and minor things about it. For instance; to learn the programming language involved, be able to code and decode them, and most importantly – translating them for the layperson to enjoy and comprehend.
How You Can Play Android Games on PC on Windows 7 and Above
So here are some skills one must acquire into be relevant in the field of web development.
Programming Skills Needed In the Field of Web Development
- HTML and CSS: there is an increase in the usability of these two languages. The HyperText Markup Language (HTML) is used to create web pages. It is the most basic block, like the foundation you need for developing websites while CSS (Cascading Style Sheets) is the language used to present the document you created with HTML, It’s used to create the page’s layout, colour schemes, fonts and other features on the page. Simply it is used to create the style.
One thing to note about JS is the existence of libraries like jQuery, which is a collection of plugins and extensions that makes it faster and easier to use JS on your website.
How to Build a Successful Career as a Web Developer
- Have a desire to learn and be good at it – The most essential aspect of being a web developer is to have a strong desire to learn the skills and not just learning but to be great at it, it is important that you enjoy yourself as you work as a web developer, many of them working with companies do their job with great passion and they are being paid for it, that is like being paid for doing what you enjoy. Find out what aspect of web development you want to learn, you don’t have to stick to what you don’t like just because you think it’s a must. So do your research well and get on the job.
- Do two or three freelance projects – whether paid or free: In other for you to have job experiences, like a prior knowledge of what will be required of you if you apply for a job as a web developer, you would need to have something to show, so do some freelance jobs for individuals or groups, display what you can do and keep them as future references to show that you are up to the task. Don’t be focused much on the money at first, volunteer to do some jobs and then when you have proven your worth, be sure you can place a bill on your services that others will be willing to pay for.
[Must Read] – Why You Should Use A Normal Laptop Over Mini-Laptop
How To Build Successful Career as Web Developer cont..
- Build a free tool and share source on GitHub: One of the ways you can get your work out there is to provide a free tool that many users can test for free, people like free things. You can share it on GitHub that has several visitors checking out sites like yours, doing this helps you get some reviews that you can work on, if it’s still bad, you can do better, if you got it fair, you will improve and if they think it was great, there is always room for improvement.
- Upgrade your LinkedIn profile with your projects: One way to becoming that web developer is to be busy trying your hands on several projects. Don’t limit yourself or be monotonous. LinkedIn gives you a large social network to project your work, and if you become predictable with no style or variety, it might spoil your chances with this large audience. So don’t just upload any bad work, put in your best to come up with great stuff and upload your LinkedIn profile with your work.
- Go to tech meetups and visit tech blogs: As stated earlier, no one is an Island, feel free to take up the opportunities where other tech personnel will be present and where you can be taught new skills to sharpen your work. Technology keeps getting refined by the day so that your skill doesn’t get rusty, it is important that you attend these meetings. There are a bunch of tech blogs on the web giving you free courses, paid courses too that will help you, visit those blogs, go on google, search for the how-to of programming and other things you are not good at. Do not be scared to learn from other sources, it will only make you smarter.
- Apply for jobs on job boards: There are several sites online that you can place your job applications, look out for those and apply for jobs there while you try other sources too.
Every web developer must be ready to learn, relearn and unlearn things, some things may work but they may not be relevant at all places and at all times so the ability to adjust to the need of the institution or the company involved is what matters.
We are sure you must have learnt one or two things which will enables you to know how to build a successful career as web developer.
About the Author
Ogugua Belonwu is the founder of MyJobMag; which is a job listing Platform in Nigeria.