I guess by now, you might wonder that why would a blogger ever thought of changing his/her domain name? Well, am going to list the reasons below on this post and additionally, why you should also do so too.
Incase you’re not familiar with what it is, a DOMAIN NAME is simply the URL that a site can be accessed with, taking for instance, this site you are currently viewing can be accessed with its DOMAIN NAME via www.netsocialblog.com. Having now knew about what a domain name is, lets discuss about the reason as to why you might want to change your domain name.
5 Reasons Why You Should Change Your Domain Name Now!
- Name Too Long – Just because domain registrar gives the opportunity to register as long as 63 characters for a domain name still doesn’t imply one should use all of the characters. What i mean by this is that you shouldn’t let your domain name be too long for the sake of your readers.
For example; www.itsallaboutyoulivinghealthyandbeingwealthy.com can be a pain in the neck for visitors whom wanted to type the URL due to because of its lengthy characters.
If you check around the blogosphere, its certain you’ll hardly find a domain name on the web which the url has like 34 characters. Hence if your domain has a very loooooong characters as at now, its advisable to change it, as the earlier the better.
- Domain Unrelated to the Site Contents – One of the interesting and best part about a site is when the domain name is related to what its content is all about. Although not that all domain name sounds similar to what they’re all about, taking for instance; Google – the biggest search engine doesn’t have any tech related word in its domain name, Google.com
However lets take the imaginary case of a site with the domain name as www.HealthTipsExample.com. Basically, visitors would be expecting to find contents and articles pertaining on health tips since that’s what is inclusive in the URL.
But what if readers visit www.HealthTipsExample.com and only for them to find posts on Entertainment and Music? I’d bet that wouldn’t looks cool even not only to readers, but also to (search engines).
Hence it is best to ensure your blog URL tally with your site’s content. If your URL is www.HealthTipsExample.com , its advisable to blog on the health niche and not something else entirely. If you feel you can’t do that, CHANGE YOUR DOMAIN NAME!
- Using Personal Name vs Unpredictable Future – The future is unpredictable and there are high chances that when you build your site to a certain height, you MIGHT want to sell it. Maybe someone bid for it at an irresistible offer, or you just do not want to manage it anymore due to time and personal choices.
Now what if you use your personal name as the domain name, that would make it more complicated to transfer ownership to another person.
You might want to ask me that what about those whom use their name as url like ‘FunmyKemmy.Com, ‘SisiYemmie.Com, ‘BerryDakara.Com, etcetera but the truth is these people are building their brand using their blog and domain name.
IF YOU DO NOT VISUALIZE YOURSELF managing your site and domain in 5years to this time, then its best to not use your personal name as the domain name so you can be able to easily transfer the ownership to another person.
- Complicated Domain Name – Tell someone to spell ‘Facebook’ for you and at least, 8 out of 10 person would spell it right! Not because of its popularity though, but because the domain name is VERY EASY to spell, thus making it easy for people to type the URL.
Why making your domain name so much complicated that after giving like 10 people, hardly would 4 of them got it right. An imaginary example of such a complicated domain name is www.twifandersimbianjava.com | Some people go as far as using ALL OF THEIR NAMES as domain name thus making it very long and complicated.
I understand that you’re trying to have a unique domain name but this is not a good idea if you make it MORE difficult to guess right. When your URL is NOT complicated, this would enable your visitors to remember easily in the future if they wants to visit your site again.
- Domain Name Sounds TOO Familiar With An Existing Domain Name : Just because you wanted your blog to be known doesn’t mean you should get a domain name that is very related to an existing and populous domain name, NO. The easiest way to make your site popular is by driving traffic to it through this 5 major methods. When you have a domain name that sounds too similar with an existing domain especially a populous one, your readers might quite often confuse your domain name with that of the populous domain name.
BOTTOM LINE – And there goes the 5 top reasons which should make you change your domain name. Like i earlier mentioned, Changing one’s domain to another is not a new thing, Don Caprio of Geek.NG had done it, i had also too ( i mentioned it in the about Us section of this blog too ) .
Its all about ensuring its the right choice and Remember the earlier you did this, the better!
However, i must warn you that when you change your domain name, there are some things that you’re going to lose especially if you’ve been using the current domain name for a long time. I’ll be talking about those things in the nearest future.
P.S – If you’re interested in changing your domain name to a new one without losing those things, OR you just wants to get a new one, you can CONTACT ME HERE and lets get started.
Leave me your comment on what you think about changing one’s domain name, i’ll like to hear your thought on this.
Below is an Infographic