The Pros when you change your domain name to a new one include but not limited to;
- Giving you another chance to choose a better suited domain name as Not all of us did make the right choice in the first place when choosing a domain name for a site.
- Additionally it also gives the chance to insert keyword in the new domain name as search engine loves that!
I recommend you check my previous post on 5 Reasons Why You Should Change Your Domain Name to have a better view of the advantages involved likewise why you should change. To cut the story short, below are the major sad things one would lose if the domain name is changed.
1. Identity - The internet is like a very big city where there are different buildings in which your site is one of them. The building is where people can enter and find out more about whom you are, likewise what you offer. And Your DOMAIN NAME is the ONLY thing, like an address that which people can use to locate your building.
Changing your domain is like changing your identity. And Although everything can still remain the same; your site's design, contents, BUT the domain name which is the address can make it hard for people to recognise your building amidst other MILLIONS of other Building.
In one word, changing your domain name is like losing your identity.
( 5 Must have Elements To Include in your Next Blogpost)
2. Blog's Traffic - This is one of the most painful thing if one changes his/her domain name especially a domain name that had been existing for a long time. When you change your domain name, whenever a visitor type in your old domain name in a bid to access it, the visitor would be served with an error page since it has been changed.
This would make him/her unable to check through your contents and when this happen, only few might bother to contact you via social channels like facebook or twitter to ask for the new url.
Hence, when you change your domain name, its surely going to have a BIG impact on your blog's traffic.
3. Search Engine Ranking - Search engine doesn't like BROKEN LINKS and UNAVAILABLE PAGES thus making them to alter their effect on a site that has these issue. And when you change your site's domain name, there would be lots of broken links if you have been using the previous domain URL in majority of your blog posts.
WHEN this happen and people were unable to access your site, its surely going to have a negative effect on your blog's SEO.
(3 Important Pages You Should Have On Your Blog)
So above are the Major 3 Sad Things That Would Happen If A Domain Name Is Changed DIRECTLY.
But Hey, Good NEWS!
Do you know you can still change your domain name and not lose these things?
Want to know how? Check my post on Redirecting a Domain Name to Another , using Namecheap
If you find the process a little more technical,
Wanted to do that of another Domain name Registrar,
Or just don't wants to get your hands dirty doing it,
You can simply contact me todo it for you at an affordable price .